Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Extreme Moves


Not to be confused with HGTV’s Massive Moves,  which is a program I enjoy sitting back and watching the stress folks put themselves under to move that perfect house across town or hundreds of miles away. The planning and logistics involved are mind boggling, and oh, how they love to speculate on how much could go wrong.  But aside from some plaster cracks and a blown tire here and there, the moves I've seen have all been successful.

Friday just past saw me deal with my own massive move – at work.  The distance much farther than anything seen so far on TV.  And apparently, after the fact, I was told such a move had not been undertaken with the company before.  All in a day’s work for this desk bound nine to fiver.  Starting at 6:30 (that would be a.m.) and with only a forty minute break, I worked for almost eight hours to move thousands of files, electronically, between Vancouver and Toronto.  It may not have been a physically demanding activity, but I was tired afterwards.

That was one move.  Next up, is the replacement and delivery of more than 200 office chairs.  Due to arrive at 5:00 pm tomorrow, it’s about time these twelve year old chairs were replaced. The scuffed and torn armrests, and  I don’t even want to talk about the mystery stains, attest to the wear and tear they’ve seen.  I’ll be staying to help the manager in charge of the delivery and if we can round up one or two other willing helpers the switch out should go faster than expected.  Although it’s ominous that the delivery company booked the freight elevator until 11:00 pm!  Comfy clothes and running shoes will be the order of the day.

And if that’s not enough fun, just for kicks, next week sees the installation of brand new, technologically advanced desk phones.  The phones have been parked on our work stations for a few weeks now with dire warnings not to touch, but they go ‘live’ next week, and yes I’m involved with that as well.   My upcoming vacation time in May will be much needed.   And apologies Pam, but I think you can see why my Jamie Tremain time has been at a bare minimum this week.

But the time approaches for a favourite mid-week break – Survivor.  I’m a long-time fan and for anyone watching, I hope you’d agree this season has been one of the best in a long time.  Every week brings unexpected surprises and fodder for discussion next day at work.

Enjoy the rest of your week and I do believe it really is Spring and not just a rumour…although flurries have been blasting by as I write!

Cheers!

Liz

4 comments:

Pam said...

And this is why Liz does all the formatting and techi stuff that I don't want to even think about. You've exhausted me just talking about what you do when your not working at Jamie Tremain. Now tell the powers that be that you have another job!

Liz said...

I'll get right on that :-)

Gayle Anderson said...

Have a great vacation, Liz. Sounds like you earned one.

Liz said...

Thanks Gayle....this time I think so!

Popular Posts Viewed This Week