Saturday, April 9, 2011

The next installment...of my life

I had a significant birthday three months ago that catapulted me into the stratosphere of “old age”. I prefer to think of it as the next instalment of my life. There are so many negative connotations to aging that if you believed all the hype I should be wearing arch supports, dentures, have thinning hair and a multitude of ailments along with my walker. I most definitely see the aging process at work on my face and body. Over the years I have always tried to eat right and exercise but for the last while it has been a chore to get me away from the fridge and the couch. So I only have myself to blame for the sagging body and face. I do keep my mind active by going to my job everyday and pretending I know what I am doing in this technological world. I read constantly and of course there are the Jamie Tremain books. So here is the plan and you heard it here first......Starting today I am on a 12 week training program that will take me to the first week in July. Just in time for my official retirement from my paid job. I started today by walking around the ravine that is situated behind my house. I doubt if it is a ½ km but I was sweating buckets. Just how out of shape am I??? I don’t plan on weighing myself as that just leads to disappointment and sabotage. So..lose a few pounds, have more energy to write after working all day, eat healthy foods and less meat and if the pundits are right, eat much less. I hope to walk everyday at least around the ravine until I can build up to a decent hike. I managed two half marathons nearly five years ago but I think my goal will be to walk up stairs and still be able to talk!! I may regret saying all this but what do I have to lose. If I am being a tad obsessive about this aging thing it’s because I have the white hair and the glasses ; oh and the hearing aids that are not age related I might add or at least they were. I have now cornered the market on poly-filla to fill in the grooves and with my new regime of walking and eating for one, not an army, I am good to go. Liz and I have a date for a get together at the end of the month to work on the last chapters of Body Perfect. This time she will make the trip to Oakville. I wonder if she will feel like a walk around the ravine. My reading material at the moment is the novel by Sarah Gruen, Water for Elephants. Just at chapter three and enjoying the era it been has written about. The movie is coming out soon. Talking of movies, my favourite author Louise Penny has negotiated to have her books made into television movies. I can’t wait to see Chief Inspector Armand Gamache on the screen. Talk soon, Slainte, Pam

No comments:

Popular Posts Viewed This Week