Saturday, March 8, 2008

Where is human nature so weak as in a bookstore!

My overnight guests, in the form of two energetic grandsons ,except when they are competing
with a video game, was most enjoyable. Lovely to see them and waved fondly when they left to visit their Uncle for a couple of days.

I spend Saturday afternoon in a comfortable chair in the bay window of my bedroom reading the book that Liz is anxiously waiting to read. The book is called "Dead Cold" by Louise Penny. This is her first book. I always do things backwards as I have read two others she has written.Very appropriate reading for a day like today. I am fortunate to look out onto a ravine with towering trees and a pond. The first few hours of this morning the flakes of snow were the big fat fluffy kind and it just filled up all the nooks and crannies in the garden. By three o'clock the storm started in earnest and the wind whipped up a constant and relentless snow.
I did not read as much as I thought as the snow was fascinating to watch and I imagined my self transported back to Varykino in the Ural mountains of Russia where Julie Christie and Omar Sharif played out their love affair as Lara and Yuri. The book & the movie of " Dr Zhivago" by Boris Pasternak , is one of my all time favourites.
To be a good writer or at least to be any kind of writer one has to read. I find more and more I am reading as a writer and look for better ways to say or write a sentence or characterize my protagonist.
The title of this blog says it all. I spend a lot of time and money in bookstores. I don't go to libraries for two reasons. One I never get the books back on time and I like to keep my own library of my favourites.
Well this nattering is not getting the writing done. The plan is for the am if i don't start dreaming while I look out the window!

Keep warm,
Pam

No comments:

Popular Posts Viewed This Week