Sunday, June 14, 2015

Rainy Days and Writing Thoughts

I’ve said it before, for me, a rainy overcast day is my kind of day to write.  Whether its on our latest book, a blog post, or just random thoughts, the dehydrated creative juices drink in the atmosphere and become refreshed.  Outside my window there is a gentle rain falling, very soothing – although one of my neighbours who has left their car windows open might not feel the same way.

Jamie Tremain was contacted a few days ago by the head of marketing for Inkitt.com.  They are comprised of small team helping the next generation of mystery/thriller authors. Currently they have launched a free mystery/thriller writing contest called Fated Paradox to help authors gain more exposure. The contest runs until July 4 2015. Jamie Tremain is pleased to help spread the word about them and their contest.  This contest might be just for you!




I love to read a few pages of fiction before turning in for the night and a friend of mine recently passed on this nugget - If reading is part of your nightly routine, consider sticking to paper books rather than digital.  In a study, people produced 55% more melatonin, spent 11% more time in deep sleep, and felt more energized the day after reading a printed book before bed, compared with when they read on a tablet.  Study author Anne-Marie Chang, Ph.D., says exposure to blue light emitted by e-readers within an hour of bedtime can disrupt circadian rhythms that govern sleep

Just another reason that I prefer to read the “old fashioned” way, although I do appreciate the convenience of an e-reader, but I believe there is room for both in a dedicated reader’s world.

We're still waiting to receive the first edit of “The Silk Shroud” from our editors and are anxious to begin this next step.  We were advised it might be 12 – 14 weeks before we heard back, so as that time frame is nearly spent we are hoping to hear very soon!  In the meantime, both Pam and I are finding it difficult to focus on other aspects of writing.

So one way to pass the time is to be more social. To that end Pam and I recently enjoyed a visit with my sister at her home in London, Ontario. Although I was fighting the worst cold ever I did appreciate the lovely meal and great company.  You can read more about it on my sister's blog - Cooking with Dartha - especially if you enjoy new recipes and a good narrative to accompany them.
   
Jamie Tremain now has a web site to call their own – check it out jamietremain.ca

A few weeks ago, I finally had an excuse to visit the Donkey Sanctuary of Canada – having two grandsons for the weekend was just the ticket. What a great experience and the boys seemed to have enjoyed it as well. A hands-on experience let them do some grooming and get up close and personal with these fascinating creatures. I see them in a much different light now – the donkeys that is.









So if you happen to be in the area don’t wait for an excuse like I did, but spend an hour or two on a Sunday afternoon and do something a little different.

Pam is gearing up for a trip home to Scotland later this summer and I’m anticipating a family get together in Virginia Beach in September. My twisted logic says that if I have something to look forward to it might slow down summer’s passing!  I can’t believe how fast time flies anymore and past experience says that when you are anxious for something pleasant and enjoyable to happen time does slow down. So I’ll have to see how that works out for me.


Next up on Jamie Tremain’s interview list will be D.J. McIntosh, to coincide with the release of her latest book The Angel of Eden.  Be sure to read more about it right here!

And that's all she wrote - for now.  Cheers!
Liz

1 comment:

Michele Paterson said...

It was a great evening with you, Pam and my BFF Shirley... I always enjoy cooking for people I love (they are the best critics). Hopefully next time we get together you will be a little healthier!

I love the idea of visiting the donkey sanctuary - did the boys find Pinocchio amongst the donkeys?

xox