Sunday, September 26, 2010











My to-do list was very long and I was not sure I had the energy or the inclination to get much or any of it done. I answered a few emails, threw on some laundry and took some pork chops out of the freezer for dinner. Now I could do what I really wanted to do. Every year I attend the "Word on the Street" It takes place all across the country and every Fall I take the train to Toronto to meet up with and listen to some of my favourite Authors. It's a nice relaxing way to get some inspiration and motivation of which I am in dire need of.

I decided to go to Kitchener instead of Toronto as I don't mind driving and I like to see the colours in the country. I Googled the directions..... but I still got lost when I arrived in Kitchener.
I have not been there for 40 years or so and I forgot how large a city it is. It should have taken me an hour but it was more like 2hours and 20 mins. I did stop for lunch as I had to get directions. Then I needed gas so I asked a taxi driver where the park was and I finally made it.

It was worth the struggle to get there. GPS system is on my list for Christmas.

Victoria park is a stunning area of winding trails and small bridges over the Grand river. The tents were set up all along the river's edge and as I parked the car quite some distance to the tents I was able to enjoy the nature in the area. Small islands of trees were populated with nests of ducks , swans and of course Canada geese. Much to my suprise a Blue heron was fishing for his afternoon snack. Only the one and he did manage a large fish that soon went down the gullet.

When I made it over to the tents I was just in time to listen to the end of Louise Penny discuss her latest novel and read from it. It is called "Bury your Dead" . Set in Quebec City it still has my favourite gumshoe. Chief Inspector Armand Gamache. Lovely man. I can't wait to get started on this latest from Louise.
I bought a book and stood in line for her to sign it and say a few words. We had a hug and she signed my book but by this time she was a little frazzled as the lineup was long. Just what every author wants. Lots of sales. I will let you know how this one turns out.

I would like to tell you that I made it home in a hour but...well I was cruising along nicely on the 401 hwy when I spied Guelph Line and thought I would head home that way but I seemed to be off in the wrong direction again. But I did get to see some wonderful colours in the trees and not just your usual sheep and cows but LLamas and Alpaca's and directions to a Bison farm where you could partake of a ride on one if you so choose!!! Must take a note of that for the next time I am bored.

I do have some pictures of my adventures today but as usual I will have to spend some time trying to figure out how to put them on here.
Well it has finally taken me almost as long to put these two pictures on here as it took me to drive to Kitchener. Not my forte.
I enjoyed the rest of the event and hopefully Liz and I will be there soon to sell you our wee baby.
Talk later,
Slainte,
Pam

No comments:

Popular Posts Viewed This Week